Band Back Exercises
Recently band exercises have been exploding in popularity. For a long time people thought that resistance band workouts were only suitable for old ladies. This misconception is no longer holding water and more people than ever are jumping on the bandwagon. Band exercises can be used to work every part of your body and it’s exactly why you should incorporate them into your fitness routine.
A resistance band is a large elastic band that a person can use to exercise all areas of the body (12). When you use bands to train or exercise, that type of training is called resistance training. Resistance training is part of strength training as resistance training helps build strength and muscles using bands. A workout band is very cheap compared to most gym equipment and it does not take up a lot of space.
One of the many benefits that immediately leap out when you look into this tiny piece of fitness equipment is all the full-body workout variations you can do. Getting stuck in a workout rut will no longer be a problem! Elastic bands also help by adding an extra challenge to bodyweight exercises without putting so much force on your joints as external weights would. They are also quite important when it comes to targeting small stabilizing muscles that are usually forgotten by most people when they are working out.
What Are The Benefits Of Working Out With Resistance Bands?
There are a number of benefits to using bands in your workout sessions. Here are some of them (4):
They Are Suitable For People Of Any Fitness Level
Whether you are a professional or new to the fitness world, there is a resistance band for everyone. Workout bands come in different strengths. One is also able to adjust the intensity by relaxing or tightening the tension on the band. This makes it very easy for all people to use them (4).
They Are Quite Easy To Store
Most of us would want to have a gym in our house. The problem with this is that not so many people can afford all the equipment needed for a full-fledged at-home gym. A workout band comes as a solution for people, who want to have a gym, but don’t have space or money. A band is cheap and after using it, you can simply toss it into a drawer until later use (4).
Bands Can Be Used To Warm Up
Warming up before a workout is very important because it helps prevent injuries and soreness. Gym bands can be used to warm up because they help activate hard-to-hit muscle groups. This makes them the perfect tool for warming up (4).
Bands Can Be Used As Stabilization Tools
Stabilization training is the foundation of endurance and strength training. Stabilization training helps to improve your core as well as the stability of your joints. This in turn improves your posture and your mobility which reduces the risk of injury. Resistance bands can help enhance your stabilization training. They do this by focusing on small muscles that are usually overlooked by most people when they are working out (4).
Read More: Resistance Training For Weight Loss: How To Boost Your Weight Loss Goals Through Strength Training
Bands Are Good For Rehabilitation Training
The worst thing that can happen to you if you are an athlete is suffering from an injury. Getting injured means you cannot do the things you wanted to do. When you are recovering from an injury, you can’t go straight to intense workouts. This is when resistance band workouts come into play. Exercise bands are the perfect tool for rehabilitation training because they are very easy on your joints. The fact that a lot of resistance band exercises can be done while sitting or lying down is another reason why they are good for rehabilitation training (4).
When it comes to weight loss, progress is made by inches, not miles, so it’s much harder to track and a lot easier to give up. BetterMe app is your personal trainer, nutritionist and support system all in one. Start using our app to stay on track and hold yourself accountable!
Mistakes You Should Avoid When Using Resistance Band To Workout
Just like any other workout session, the only way to always make sure you get the expected results is to do the workout properly. Doing the exercise the right way involves using the equipment as it should be used and following step-by-step instructions. Here are some common mistakes people end up doing when training with resistance bands (4):
Not Having Constant Tension
It is important to keep the tension constant when you are working out with a band. This ensures the effectiveness of your workout (4).
Using The Resistance Band Wrongly
You want your band to last for a long time. To make sure this happens, you should use it as it was meant to be used as you also avoid things that can make it tear or break. You should make sure not to pull the band too hard, not to stretch the workout band over a sharp edge as this would make it tear. You should also make sure not to leave your resistance band out in the sun. If you do this, you might ruin the band’s elasticity (4).
Read More: Types Of Stretches To Loosen Up Your Body From Head To Toe
The Band Is Too Tight
There are different types of bands from which you can choose. When you are planning to buy a resistance band, it is recommended to consult an expert as they would tell you which is the right band for you to buy. This helps you not buy bands that are too tight for you. When you are also adjusting your resistance band just before working out, make sure it is not too tight. When the equipment is too tight, it prevents you from doing your workout effectively. This is because you won’t be able to get the necessary range of motion your exercises require (4).
Resistance Band Exercises For Back And Shoulders
The back is a very important part of your body. It is always good to work out your back and the best way to do so is using the various resistance band exercises designed for your back. You can use resistance band exercises to strengthen your lower back, lose weight, improve your posture among other things. Here are different resistance band back exercises:
Lat pull-downs are helpful in strengthening the large muscles on the sides of your back.
How to do it (11):
- Anchor the middle of the band overhead. You should use a strong object like a door frame to hold it firmly.
- Reach for the band and grab each one end of the band by each hand. Make sure your hands are wide apart.
- Squeeze the muscles on the sides of your back and pull the band toward your chest. Your elbows will bend with this movement. Stop when your hands reach or are close enough to your shoulders.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and then relax.
You should do three sets of ten repetitions of this exercise.
Band Lat Pull
It is helpful for your back and shoulders (3).
How to do it:
- The first thing to do is to stand with your feet apart. Then hold one end of the resistance band in either hand and extend your hands out in front of you at the height of your shoulders.
- Then make sure to engage your core and squeeze your back muscles together. Pull the band apart by extending your arms out to the sides.
- Reverse the motion and repeat.
You should do fifteen repetitions for this exercise.
Resistance Band Mid-Back Pull
How to do it (9):
- You start by first of all standing with your feet wide apart. Then hold each end of the band with your hands, then loop the band around each arm until it becomes as tight as you want it to be.
Then hold your arms straight out in front of you at a height of your shoulders. Pull the band open as your hands go out to the sides and the band comes in towards your chest. You should make sure to keep your shoulders down.
- Slowly release your hands and go back to your original position and do this exercise again.
How to do it (8):
- The first thing to do is to anchor the resistance band in a low position. The down with your face facing upwards and hold the free end of the resistance band with both of your hands. Then stretch your hands straight out overhead.
- With elbows slightly bent, pull the resistance band overhead, and cross your torso until the handle reaches your knees.
- Gently go back to the original position.
You should do between eight and ten reps.
If you wish to free yourself from all the extra pounds that have been weighing you down for way too long, start using the BetterMe app and overhaul your entire life!
How to do it:
- Stand over the center of the band with feet shoulder-width apart. Bend slightly at your knees and hinge at your waist, keeping your hips back. Grasp the band handles with your hands facing the outsides of your knees.
- With elbows bent, pull the band up toward your hips, squeezing your scapulas together until your elbows form a 90-degree angle. Lower and row for 10–12 reps.
Resistance Band Seated Row (6)
This back band exercise works on your lats, chest, rhomboids, and triceps.
How to do it:
- Start by sitting down on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Wrap a therapy resistance band underneath the curves of your feet. You should keep your back upright, your chest out, and your shoulders rolled back.
- Flex your elbows and draw them back. Squeeze your scapulas. Do not lean back.
- Slowly, extend your hands and bring them back to their original position.
You should do three sets of fifteen repetitions.
This exercise targets muscles in your mid-back.
How to do it (7):
- You start by standing with your feet apart and with your knees slightly bent. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Then hold one end of the band in each hand with your palms facing inward. Keep your elbows straight throughout this exercise.
- Begin with your arms straight in front of you at shoulder height. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and pull the ends of the band apart until your arms are straight out at your sides. Do not allow your shoulders to shrug up during this exercise.
- Hold for two to three seconds; then relax.
Do this 10 times and work up to 3 sets in a row.
Half-Kneeling Archer Row
How to do it (1):
- You start by kneeling on your left knee, and extend your right hand directly out to your side, holding the band. Take the other end of the band with your left hand.
- You should keep your right arm straight out and tight, pull the band with your left hand, letting your elbow bend and rotate slightly toward your hip. Squeeze for a moment, then return to the starting position.
You should do three sets of twelve reps.
How to do it (2):
- Stand securely in the middle of the band. Spread your feet approximately shoulder-width apart. Hold one end of the band in each hand.
- With your arms by your side and palms facing you, hinge forward at your hips, keeping your knees straight. Do not allow your low back to round forward. This is the position you start from.
- Lift your chest and squeeze your hips forward as you come into an upright posture. Hold this for two to three seconds; then return to the hip-hinged position. Repeat 10 times and work up to 3 sets in a row.
How to do it (1):
- Hang the light band from a spot slightly above shoulder width and hold each side of it with your arms.
- Pull the band close to your forehead while at the same time pulling it apart. When you end the repetition, your forearms should be perpendicular with the floor, forming a 90-degree angle with your upper arms.
- Squeeze your back hard, stressing your rhomboids.
You should do three sets of twelve repetitions. You should make sure to rest for one minute in between each set.
Single-Arm Straight-Arm Pulldown
How to do it (1):
- Grab the band, hinge forward at the hips just slightly, and pull the band toward your hip, keeping your arm straight.
- Hold for a second, then slowly return to band upwards. Do 3 sets of 12 reps per arm.
Is Resistance Band Workout Good For Weight Loss?
Can using resistance bands help you lose weight? Most people work out so that they can maintain a certain weight or lose some pounds. Almost everyone is now more concerned with their weight than ever before. These exercises can help one lose weight in a number of ways.
These types of exercises are used for strength training, which means they help increase the muscle mass of an individual. Muscle mass helps boost metabolism (10). The more muscle mass you have compared to your fat mass, the higher your metabolism. This helps you burn those extra calories.
These types of exercises also help cut extra calories from the fact that they are exercises. Performing them helps cut extra calories. The fact that there are different workouts for every part of the body is quite an advantage. This makes this kind of exercise quite sustainable since you are able to work all the parts of your body. Remember a good workout plan is one that you can sustain over a long period of time (10).
On top of all that, resistance band workouts prevent injury, which ensures your ability to keep up with your workout schedule over the long term. No unwanted pounds will creep up on you if you’re able to squeeze in a sweat session at least 3 times a week.
It is for these reasons among many more you should include band exercises to your workout session.
Are you struggling to achieve better and faster results? Check up this 20 Min Full Body Workout at Home challenge!